The City of Roses in a Nutshell.
There are five main areas, bisected by the Willamette River and by Burnside Street, that make up Portland proper:
- Northwest (to the WEST and NORTH of the Willamette River)
- Southwest (to the WEST and SOUTH of the Willamette River)
- Northeast (to the EAST of the Willamette River and NORTH of Burnside Street)
- Southeast (to the EAST of the Willamette River and SOUTH of Burnside Street)
- North (on a peninsula of land surrounded by the Columbia River to the NORTH and the Willamette River to the SOUTH.)
And since our friends at Travel Oregon did such a nice roundup of the individual Portland neighborhoods in all their glory, I'll let you explore on your own.
You can also check out this information on Portand Neighborhoods by Wikipedia.